Application of NatureOne® – 100% Acrylic Exterior
Solid wood sidings:
– Board & Baton
– Tongue & Groove, etc.
– Log Siding
– James Hardie®
– LP Smart Side®
Water collection in the V-groove of Herring Bone and Chevron patterns may result in pre-mature coating failure. Coating of end grains and attention to caulking detail will enhance the performance of the coating.
Installation of siding directly over foil faced or ridged foam insulation or moisture proof house wrap may cause excessive moisture and heat, which may negatively affect the coatings performance. Back priming will help control the absorption of this moisture into the wood. Ventilation of the siding by installing over strapping provides the best solution for moisture control.
Manufacturers of plywood siding, such as T1-11, do not recommend the use of semi-transparent pigmented coatings, like NatureColor® Base Coat, Recoater or NatureOne®. See siding manufacturers recommendations or coatings of this type of substrate.
Design & Building
A design that keeps the water and sunlight away from the wood surfaces will result in lower maintenance, which will save the building owner time and money.
– Plan with a “Maintenance Perspective”
– Good foundation drainage
– Bottom row of siding should be 2 feet above ground
– Protect porch posts from ground moisture
– Keep exterior walls free from back splashing
– Ventilation systems for moisture producing areas of the home (i.e. kitchens, baths, etc). Vent through roofing system whenever possible
– Provide a minimum of 2-foot overhangs, 4-foot is better
– Install gutters and downspouts Install flashing – dormers, chimneys, etc.
– Provide for siding ventilation
– Select high quality wood and face the textured side of the siding outward to the weather
– USE A QUALITY FINISH
Follow the instructions on the General Preparation for Siding guide sheet.
- Follow Prep Procedures
- One Coat of NatureOne®
- Wait minimum 2 hours*
- One Coat of NatureOne®
- Wait minimum 2 hours*
- Apply a third coat of NatureOne® for optimum performance.
For maximum protection:
Apply 1 coat (preferably 2 coats) of NatureOne® to every side of the board before installing it to your structure. After siding is installed, apply 1 final coat of NatureOne®
Exception to 3-coat system:
On Composite siding with factory applied primer coat, a third coat of NatureOne® may be omitted.
*Note: Low temperatures or high humidity may extend dry times. 3-5 hours is recommended drying time between coats.
Surfaces should be coated within two weeks of cleaning procedure, second coat within two weeks of the first coat and third coat within two weeks of the second coat.
If subsequent coats are extended beyond these parameters cleaning of the surface should be done per the maintenance preparation specifications.
Prior to application, a test area should be done using product purchased for the project. Test will confirm the desired color has been achieved, dry time is within 4 hours and product compatibility is evident.
For color consistency always use the same batch number for the job. If different batch numbers exist, mix all batches together to assure color consistency.
NatureOne® is best applied with a nylon polyester bristle brush. NatureOne® products can be sprayed, but always back brushed to work the product into the wood and to even the pigmentation and film thickness.
– Airless Sprayer
– Tip Size 5-15 to 5-17
– Pressure – 1000 to 1500 PSI
– Saturate surface with product
– Even application by back brushing
Tip: Keep the spray head no more than 12 inches from substrate.
Wipe up spills and spatters immediately with damp rag. Equipment and tools should be cleaned with soap and water.
Dispose of empty can or unused finish in accordance with state and federal regulations.
For our products, application of one coat to all sides of the boards is recommended to control the intake of excessive moisture in the wood, which may result in coating failure.
For Best Performance
– Keep material from freezing
– Do not thin or add colorants
– Moisture content of the wood should be no more than 18%
– Apply liberal coats
– Apply in direction of the grain
– Maintain a wet edge
– Saturate all end grains
– Apply when surface and air temperatures are between 50 ̊F and 85 ̊F.
– Avoid application of product when temperatures are expected to drop below 50 ̊F within 4 hours
– Avoid application when dew or moisture is present
– Avoid applying finish in direct sunlight or when surface is hot to the touch. If weather conditions become too hot during application and product is drying too quickly, STOP and wait for cooler application conditions.
The information and suggestions for use made herein are based on research and experience of Structures Wood Care, Inc., and are believed to be reliable. Application and surface conditions are beyond Structures Wood Care, Inc.’s control. Liability, if any, is limited to replacement of product or refund of its purchase price at Structures Wood Care’s option. Proof of purchase is required. Labor or cost of labor is excluded. Buyers must determine for themselves, by preliminary tests or otherwise, the suitability of the products for their purposes.